ACES Research Grant Award Committee
Call for Proposals
**ACES Award recipients will be announced at their Regional ACES Conference**
**Scroll to the Bottom to Complete Your Proposal Submission**
Purpose: The purpose for this call for proposals is to fund studies that increase understanding of professional development in Counselor Education and Supervision. Grants up to $3,000 are awarded to those who meet the criteria below and whose research is on the topic of Counselor Education or Supervision, specifically focusing on areas of Research, Teaching, Supervision, Professional Identity, or Leadership Development in Counselor Education. Other topics will not be considered.
Who May Apply: The competition is open to ACES professional and student members. Student researchers, who are studying a topic listed above, are especially encouraged to apply. Individuals may submit (or be part of a submission team) for only one proposal. Multiple submissions by any researcher (individually or as part of multiple research teams) will not be accepted.
Award Tax Responsibility: If selected, awardees can choose one of two methods to receive funds. First, they can receive a check written directly to them personally and will be required by federal law to pay taxes on the amount. This method will require awardees to complete a W-9 form in order to receive the award. Second, they can have the award sent to their institution and dispersed by the institution, thus avoiding personal income taxes on the award. Awardees should explore with their Grants office whether or not the college or university would charge indirect costs against the award if they were to administer it.
Proposal Format: Proposals must be submitted online by completing the online application at http://www.acesonline.net/resources/research-awards-call-proposals and uploading the Proposal Outline (see below) in a PDF document that adheres to the following:
- Typed in 12 point font, double spaced, with one-inch margins.
- The Proposal document may be a maximum of four pages.
-References may be added in addition to the 4 page limit.
– Attachments submitted as part of the proposal beyond the 4 page limit will not be reviewed by the committee.
-The Application Form must be completed online.
- The online submission of the Proposal Outline must be in PDF format.
- Upload one “blind” copy of the proposal*, and;
- Upload one copy of the proposal with author identification, AND;
- Complete the online Application Form by July 8, 2020.
- Grants will be announced at the 2020 ACES regional conferences. Recipients will be notified by August 20, 2020. Recipients will be invited to present a poster session on their research at the next year’s regional ACES conference.
Recommended Proposal Outline:
Plan for Distribution or Publication
Evaluation Criteria: Research proposals will be evaluated by a panel of reviewers using the following criteria:
- Qualifications of the Researcher:
- The researcher is a regular or student member of ACES, and the researcher has submitted only one proposal for funding in this year’s grant program.
- Quality of the Proposed Research:
- Proposed topic is within the scope of Counselor Education and Supervision (20 points possible)
- Relevance of research to Counselor Education & Supervision as evidenced by the literature review (25 points possible)
- Research Methodology (i.e. the methodology proposed follows accepted practice for research of that kind) (25 points possible)
- Applicable ethical standards for research with human subjects (15 points possible)
- Financial Need:
- Clear, itemized, and research-focused budget (10 points possible): The budget for the research project seems sound given the nature and scope of the proposed project (only the expenses budgeted for the actual conducting of the study will be considered; travel or presentation expenses will not be considered), and the project is not substantially supported by any other funding source (budget statements must include a statement of other funds being used to support the project).
- Funds may not be used for time compensation, including GA work, unless you provide the “employee” with a 1099 Form submitted to the IRS, so that they are taxed appropriately. The budget may include payment for time if the recipient (e.g., transcription company, statistical consultant) accounts for the self-employment or business income and provides a receipt. Receipts must be maintained by the Primary Researcher and made available should ACES request the records.
- Plan for Distribution or Publication: A clear, feasible, and appropriate plan for distribution or publication of research findings such as conference presentations and journal manuscripts (5 points possible). As a condition of the acceptance of the grant award, the researcher is required to complete one of the following by October 30th of the year subsequent to receiving your award:
- Provide a copy of the proposal to present the research results as a poster session at the ACA World Conference or ACES National or Regional Conference;
- Provide a copy of the proposal to present the research results as an education session at the ACA World Conference or ACES National or Regional Conference;
- Provide to the Research Grant Committee Chair a copy of the manuscript of the research results that has been submitted to a refereed journal for publication consideration.
- “Acknowledgment of Support” Agreement: The researcher will include an acknowledgment of ACES financial support of the project in all reports, presentations, or publications related to the supported project.
Deadline for Submission: The deadline for submission is July 8, 2020. Your online application must include:
- One “blind” copy of the proposal** (uploaded)
- One copy of the proposal with author identification (uploaded)
- One application form completed online at http://www.acesonline.net/resources/research-awards-call-proposals
Grants will be announced at the 2020 ACES regional conferences. Recipients will be notified by August 20, 2020. Recipients will be invited to present a poster session on their research at the next year’s regional ACES conference.
Requests for further information should be directed to:
Dr. Jennifer Baggerly, Professor
Chair, ACES Research Grants Committee
University of North Texas at Dallas
7300 University Hills Blvd.
Dallas, TX 75241
Requests for information may be made via hard copy postal mail or E-mail.
Proposals must be submitted online. Neither faxed, mailed “hard” copies, or emails of proposals will be considered.
**NOTE: A “blind” copy contains not only no name, but no identifying information about the author(s) or their location in the title pages, page headers, or text of the proposal. Proposals containing any identifying information or submissions that do not include one “blind” copy will be disqualified.